Newsletter 19 – 9th February 2018
We are now half way through the year – and what a busy one it has been! Have a wonderful half term – let’s hope for sunshine (or maybe snow!) – And we look forward to welcoming you all back to school on Monday 19th February.
Congratulatory Letter from Rt Hon Nick Gibb MP Congratulatory Letter
We were thrilled this morning to receive a letter from Nick Gibb recognising the results that our children have gained as part of their Key Stage 2 assessments. We are very proud to be in the top 1% of schools in England for attainment in reading and maths. Well done to all and thank you for your continued hard work.
Please see the attached letter.
Our attendance dropped to just 91% this week which is well below the expected 95%. I appreciate that there were some genuine cases for absence, but this was not the case for all. We have been carrying out assessment tasks this week in order to plan children’s next steps after half term. This means additional work for teachers and pupils on their return to school.
Please remember that every day counts!
Sign to Sing assembly – Wow!
It was an absolute pleasure this week to welcome Connor and Maddison’s family into school to take part in our ‘Sign to Sing’ assembly. The children have been learning a song accompanied by signing with Miss Wakefield. It was a wonderful event that raised awareness of signing and the deaf health charity. We were very grateful to Justin for answering questions about deafness and to Janine for interpreting for us.
Thank you to all of those who attended the open classes’ session after school this Wednesday. It was a pleasure to be able to share and celebrate pupils’ work and progress with parents.
Friends Film Night
The sound of laughter, smell of popcorn and taste of pizza filled the school last night as the Friends held their ‘Film Night’. The children enjoyed mouse themed films and pizza kindly donated by Domino’s pizza – a huge thank you to them! The event raised £181.10 towards exciting projects at school.
Rio Carnival Week
Don’t forget that when we come back to school after half term, we will be celebrating our Rio Carnival week with lots of exciting enrichment opportunities. Remember that we have our parade taking place at 2:45pm leaving from School – you are all invited to join us! Children are also asked to dress in colourful clothes – the brighter the better!
KS2 Visit to Electric Palace 22nd Feb
Classes 3 and 4 will be attending the pantomime (Oh yes they will!) on the afternoon of Thursday 22nd February. A letter will follow after half term with arrangements. If you are available to support us with walking the children down to the Electric Palace, please let me know.
We have extended the dates to register for the new online payment system until 7th March. Please remember to register for this service as it can be used to pay for school trips, uniform and swimming. Please speak to the office if you have any questions.
Dates for the Diary
As we are adding more dates to the diary for this term, here is an update. Please remember to look out for new dates on the website!
- 19 Feb 18 - First day of term
- 19 Feb 18 to 26 Feb 18 - Rio Carnival Week
- 20 Feb 18 - Brazil Dance Workshops
- 21 Feb 18 - Cross Country at Beaminster 13.30
- 21 Feb 18 - Singing Assembly
- 22 Feb 18 - Church Assembly
- 22 Feb 18 – KS2 visit Treasure Island
- 27 Feb 18 - Swimming Yrs 1,3 & 4
- 27 Feb 18 – Bring books to life workshop
- 28 Feb 18 - Skip hop day whole school
- 28 Feb 18 - Singing Assembly
- 01 Mar 18 - World Book Day
- 01 Mar 18 - Church Assembly
- 01 Mar 18 - School Quiz Night 6pm
- 02 Mar 18 – World book day dress up
- 06 Mar 18 - Swimming Yrs 1,3 & 4
- 07 Mar 18 - Singing Assembly
- 07 Mar 18 - Fire Safety Visit Class 1
- 08 Mar 18 - Church Assembly
- 09 Mar 18 - Dance Festival
- 09 Mar 18 – Daffodil picking
- 10 Mar 18 - Tag Rugby Festival
- 13 Mar 18 - Swimming Yrs 1,3 & 4
- 13 Mar 18 - Spelling Bee Heats
- 14 Mar 18 - Singing Assembly
- 15 Mar 18 - Church Assembly
- 19 Mar 18 - Whole School Spelling Bee 13.30
- 20 Mar 18 - Swimming Yrs 1,3 & 4
- 20 Mar 18 - Cross Country Relay Colfox
- 21 Mar 18 - Singing Assembly
- 22 Mar 18 - Class 3 Assembly 14.45
- 27 Mar 18 - Year 2 & 3 Cricket Festival 13.00
- 27 Mar 18 - Swimming Yrs 1,3 & 4
- 28 Mar 18 - Singing Assembly
- 29 Mar 18 - Easter Service at Church 14.30
- 29 Mar 18 - Last Day of Term
- 16 Apr 18 – Inset Day
- 17 Apr 18 – First Day Back
Our attendance award
Congratulations to class 3 who won the award this week – keep up the hard work!
Stars of the week
Congratulations to our stars of the week - well done you!
Class 1 Freddie, Class 2 Fran, Class 3 Poppy E, Class 4 Henry.