Newsletter 33 – 23rd June 2017
Attendance and lateness
With only 4 weeks left of the academic year, I would like to remind you of the importance of attendance. The last few weeks have seen a real dip in attendance and although there are cases of genuine illness, there are also some cases where children are getting tired and parents feel a rest day is necessary or children are away on holiday. I would urge you to ensure that your child is in school as this is an important part of the year.
Our school policy, in line with other local schools, is to flag any attendance under 95% which equates to four weeks over the academic year. Our school attendance stands at 96.6% but in the last few weeks has been falling down as far as 91%. Please endeavour to ensure your child has good attendance in the last few weeks of term – after all, we don’t want them to miss out on all the fun activities we have planned!
We also have children arriving late after the bell has rung for a variety of reasons – please ensure your child is at school on time – 8:55am. Thank you for your support with this.
Class 4 London Adventure
Children from Class 4 had a fabulous time in London as they enjoyed sights such as HMS Belfast, Leicester Square and Covent Garden. We had a whistle-stop tour of the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum and enjoyed a delicious meal in The Rainforest Café and the amazing ‘Lion King’ in the West End. The children behaved impeccably and we had many comments from members of the public about how wonderful it was to see the children behaving so well and enjoying themselves in London.
My thanks to Mr White, Mrs McAllister and Mrs Parry for all their hard work and company on the trip. An experience never to be forgotten for the children (or staff)!
New Intake Afternoon
This week saw the Reception Class of 2017 join us for their very first taster afternoon. Parents joined their children in Class 1 as they enjoyed activities and time to get to know the Class 1 team, Mrs Van Der Plank and Miss Prentice.
Class 3 Residential
Class 3 have enjoyed an adventurous few days on their class residential! Watch out for more on that in next week’s newsletter!
Dates for the Diary
At Symondsbury, we try to arrange as many enriching and exciting opportunities for the children and at this time of year, although it is incredibly busy, it is very exciting for the children.
Please note that during the term, times may have to change due to unavoidable circumstances and we try to keep you up to date with all the events going on. Due to time constraints and other commitments, we will not be holding our ‘Music for All’ evening as planned.
Please note dates and times below…
- 26 Jun 17 – Class 1 to West Bay
- 26 Jun 17 – Class 2 Dino Day at school
- 27 Jun 17 – Moving Up morning
- 27 Jun 17 - Year 6 Parents’ Induction at Colfox
- 27 Jun 17 - Reception Swimming
- 27 Jun 17 - New reception intake afternoon
- 28 Jun 17 - Year R & 1 visit from Axe Valley Wildlife Park
- 28 Jun 17 – School games Finals & Quad Kids
- 29 Jun 17 – Parents’ transition session – 3:30pm
- 29 Jun 17 - Year 6 Induction day 1 - Colfox
- 30 Jun 17 - Year 6 Induction day 2 - Colfox
- 30 Jun 17 – Non Uniform Day
- 01 Jul 17 – Friends’ Summer Fair - 14:00 to 16:30
- 04 Jul 17 – Class 4 Sailing
- 04 Jul 17 - New reception intake afternoon
- 04 Jul 17 - Reception Swimming
- 05 Jul 17 - Class 3 Stone-age Day
- 06 Jul 17 - Class 2 Assembly
- 06 Jul 17 - Marathon
- 07 Jul 17 - Sports afternoon
- 09 Jul 17 – Symondsbury Church Fete 2pm – 5pm
- 10 Jul 17 - Reports issued this week
- 10 Jul 17 - Whole School Photo
- 11 Jul 17 - Reception Swimming
- 12 Jul 17 - Class 4 production – 6pm
- 14 Jul 17 - Reserve date for sports afternoon
- 15 Jul 17 - Year 6 Leavers’ Ball – 6pm
- 18 Jul 17 - Thank you tea party – 2pm
- 20 Jul 17 – Achievers’ Service – 2pm
- 21 Jul 17 – Leavers’ Service – 11:15am
- 21 Jul 17 - End of term - 1.30pm
Our attendance award
Congratulations to class 4 who won the award this week – keep up the hard work!