Sports Funding @ Symondsbury School
In April 2013, the Department for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport announced new funding to support the delivery of PE and school sport. Funding is being allocated to all state-maintained secondary, primary, middle and special schools (including non-maintained special schools), academies and pupil referral units with primary aged pupils for the period 1st September 2019 to 31st August 2020. Symondsbury will be receiving £16,903 in two installments (Dec & April) which will supplement funds allocated from the overall school budget.
At Symondsbury Primary School we aim to establish an outstanding PE programme to develop a sporting culture which helps to improve all pupils’ physical wellbeing and lifestyles through a planned programme of action to promote participation, progress, completion and enjoyment.
We are very proud of the PE and Sport that takes place in our school. The children are given a wide range of opportunities to take part in a variety of sport and physical activity.We are using our Sport Premium to improve the quality of PE and Sport provision in the following ways:
- Procuring quality assured professional training for staff to raise their confidence and competence in teaching PE and sport.
- Providing professional development in PE and sport for teachers (such as working with a PE company).
- Supporting regular sport tournaments, festivals and competitions for pupils of all ages.
- Hiring professional sports coaches to teach the children different sports during curriculum time and in after school clubs.
- Purchasing more sports equipment for use during playtimes.
- Developing our playground to be more friendlier and better for the children.
- Purchasing new equipment to be used in PE lessons
- Developing upper KS2 pupils as playground leaders
- Providing more opportunities for children in years 3/4 to take part in level 2 sport
We regularly take part in local sports festivals and transport is essential in order to travel to various locations. Our pupils are very proud of their sporting achievements and there is a real buzz around the school with sport – in particular, cross country, in which our pupils have been particularly successful this year. Also this year we have had more opportunities for children in lower KS2 to partake in level 2 sport with our new collaboration schools. This has a long term impact and with support and training from our teachers and TA's the children feel inspired to take their sport to the next level.
Festivals and competitions which Symondsbury partakes:
- School Colmers Hill cross country run
- School sports day
- School Marathon run (KS2)
- Cluster Colmers Hill cross country run (Organised and hosted at Symondsbury)
- Cluster Tri-Golf festival - (leading to school games finals)
- Cluster football matches
- Cluster Dance festival (Year 3/4)
- Cluster cricket tournament
- West Dorset Swimming gala
- Cluster Tag rugby festival
- Cluster KS1 Multiskills festival
- Cluster Quad kids athletics
- Collaboration year 3/4 5-a-side
- Collaboration year 3/4 cricket skills festival
- Cluster cross country races at Colfox and Beaminster sechool
Local clubs Symondsbury has links with
Measuring the impact of the sports premium
We will evaluate the impact of the Sports Premium funding as part of our normal self-evaluation and provision mapping arrangements, including the evaluation and assessments given by PHSports. This will include an evaluation of our action plan and the resulting end of year award of a Sports Mark to our school. Finally, we will monitor the increasing participation in PE and sport so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels they are capable of. To do this, we will look at progress in PE, pupil questionnaires as well as other areas of development such as self-esteem, confidence and the numbers of pupils involved in sporting activities in and out of school. It is anticipated that at the end of the academic year we will have a strong base of data to show the impact of this sports premium funding on pupil progress and involvement in sport.
Symondsbury was awarded Bronze mark status for both our curricular and our extra-curricular opportunities in 2012-13 and, managed to maintain this status until 2014-15. In the subsequent years which have followed we have been awarded the Silver mark status, encompassing all the requirements of this grading (Curriculum content and delivery, CPD, Leadership, Inter-schools competition, Intra-school competitions, Swimming, Club links and G&T), ensuring that all of our children at Symondsbury Primary have access to the highest possible quality of PE and sport.